We are almost at the end of our quarantine summers, ready to enter the monsoon season – and also, dun dun dun… Back to our professional lives! While we wake up lazily to get ready for a day full of tasks and duties, there is rarely any time to prep a hearty breakfast. Yes, we all want the eggs, dosa’s and fried Bombay toasts plated for us – but waking up at 6 AM can be quite a task on a lovely cold rainy morning.
Need a tasty but yet quick breakfast on your table or to-go? Smoothies are super-easy and pack in a bunch of nutrients to kickstart your mornings – at work, or at the gym – or simply while you spend the day catching up on house chores. No overcomplication, a quick whizz on the blender, and voila! – a nutritious breakfast in your glass in minutes! Here are my top 5 go-to smoothie recipes for a nutty, crunchy and nutritious beginning to my days:
6-Color Wheel Smoothie
There are just 3 base ingredients to this recipe, and the fruit and vegetable can be added as per your choice for the smoothie colour of your choice – one colour every day is quite a boring way to live our days!
- 1/4th cup Greek yoghurt/cashews
- ½ cup ripe banana mashed
- ½ cup water – room temperature
Add these ingredients along with ½ cup chopped fruit and ½ cup chopped vegetable of your choice to a blender (list per colour below) and blend until smooth.
- Hot Pink Smoothie: Raspberries, Beetroots
- Light Pink Smoothie: Strawberries, Cauliflowers
- Green Smoothie: Avocado, Baby Spinach
- Orange Smoothie: Orange, Carrot
- Purple Smoothie: Blueberries, Red Cabbage
- Yellow Smoothie: Mango (or Pineapple), Pumpkin
Note – These can be made a night prior and refrigerated for a next morning consumption too!
Oatmeal Breakfast Smoothie
Skip the porridge bowl and blend some oats with fruits and dairy for a quick and nutritious start to the day. All you need is:
- 1/4th cup uncooked oats
- ½ ripe banana, mashed
- ½ cup Greek yoghurt or homemade curd
- ¾ cup mangoes, chopped
- ¾ cup strawberries, chopped
- ¾ cup milk or your choice of dairy (almond milk, soy milk, etc)
Method: Blend all the ingredients until smooth. Consume, or refrigerate if you like your smoothies cold.
Carrot Ginger Turmeric Smoothie
Orange you glad we found a perfect immune-booster smoothie for your cold & lazy mornings. Turmeric is the perfect ages-old antidote to any ailment, inside or outside or bodies, and ginger is the perfect way to charge yourself up for a big day ahead! All you need is:
- 2 cups carrots
- 5 cups of water
- 1 large ripe banana, mashed
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, chopped
- ½ tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, soy milk, normal milk (the choice is yours)
- Use the carrots and water to make carrot juice. Keep aside ½ cup of the juice.
- Blend the rest of the ingredients along with ½ cup carrot juice for a perfect orange kick-starter!
The Hearty Smoothie
An apple a day keeps the doctor away – let’s always believe this. A lovely red smoothie is all you need for a pick-me-up morning or afternoon. All you need is to blitz the below ingredients for a power punch to your day!
- 2 small raw beetroots – peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 small apple – peeled and quartered
- 50 grams of blueberries
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 300 ml of water
Make the most of this perfect monsoon fruit, one of my personal favourites – nothing beats the fresh tang and flavour of a juicy peach! A great source of Vitamins C and A, peaches also offer a good amount of fibre that helps with your digestion. All you need to do is give the below ingredients a quick whirl in the blender and you’re good to go!
- 1 banana, cut in chunks
- 2 ripe peach, pitted & sliced
- 30 grams low-fat yoghurt, or homemade curd
- ¼ cup orange juice (fresh is always better!)
- 1 cup small ice cubes
At the end of the day, it only matters how you like your smoothies – adds some honey if you like them sweeter, some more greens for a larger portion of fibre and some nuts to give it a crunchy protein! My favourite thing to do is mix in some of my ready Gouri’s Goodies cereal mix or a chopped up Dark Chocolate Energy Bar into the already made smoothie – an indulgence in itself! So, get started with your own version of your favourite smoothie – the perfect go-to when you need a quick breakfast or mid-meal snack! But always remember, too much of anything is rarely a good thing – a good balance of ingredients including protein, carbs and healthy fats is the perfect path to good nutrition!